We’ve created a New Centre for the New Centre of the Universe. This is how we like to think of ourselves at Monarch. Across Ontario, the length of postpartum hospital stay has transitioned to a new model: “one sleep” for vaginal delivery, and “two sleeps” for cesarean sections. This new discharge model brings with it many advantages— as long as it is accompanied by strong, evidence-based care for mom and baby. That’s where we come in.
At Monarch, we coordinate discharge directly with your hospital providers, to make sure that mom and baby are discharged when ready, and when it is medically appropriate. Upon coordinated discharge from hospital, Monarch is here for that transition— that soft landing— as you begin life at home with your new family. We have created a welcoming place where you can access the combined skills of experienced, committed, and passionate newborn-health physicians, nurses and lactation consultants.
From newborn screening and postpartum services to breastfeeding consultation, counseling and special procedures, at Monarch, we love our job almost as much as you love your baby. The best possible care – that’s our promise to both of you.
Monarch Centre is an innovative multi disciplinary maternal and newborn health clinic providing evidence based comprehensive care. Following the birth of your baby, you and your baby will need extra support and follow up care. When you are ready for discharge from the Ottawa Hospital, you will be referred to the Monarch Centre for your first 24-48 hour check up. At the Monarch Centre, we have Registered Nurses, Board Certified Lactation Consultants and Family Doctors who specialize in maternal and newborn care. We provide all necessary breastfeeding support, bilirubin checks for jaundice and full post partum check up and follow up for mom and baby.
What to expect on the first visit:
- A nurse who is also a lactation consultant will see you initially. She will ask questions about the baby’s feedings and how the last 24 hours have been with wet and dirty diapers.
- We will evaluate your baby for jaundice by testing the bilirubin level.
- We also provide all follow up care and coordinate treatment if required
- Newborn Screen for serious metabolic diseases will be completed if needed
- We will ensure that proper follow up is provided with your family doctor or pediatrician.
- If you do not have a primary care provider, we will help you find one
- Feeding advice and recommendations will be made no matter how you choose to feed your newborn.
- A nurse/lactation consultant will see you initially. She will ask questions about your postpartum experience so far and answer any questions you may have. She will provide any follow up care as required.
- The physician will complete any exam required
- Staple removal and wound care as needed
- Mental health screening and support
How long do I have access to Monarch services:
- Most people come for 1-3 visits on average
- Except under exceptional circumstances babies are referred to Monarch in the first week of life as part of your discharge planning from the hospital
What happens to when I am discharged from the Monarch Centre?
- Your records and important details of your care will be forwarded to your doctor
- If you do not have a doctor, we will help you find one
Can anyone Access Monarch Services?
- For immediate postpartum care, we currently support follow up care from the Ottawa Hospital with a referral
- We are able to support mothers and babies in midwifery care as needed who delivered at The Ottawa Hospital with a referral
- Hospital grade pump rentals and lactation aids are accessible to all without appointment or referral.
- Breastfeeding and Parenting prenatal classes are accessible to all and pre-registration and payment is required – see section on parenting classes for more details. ***Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the in person workshop is no longer available until further notice. We will continue to offer our online ZOOM option. We apologize for the inconvenience.***
- Monarch vaccination program for TDaP is accessible to all pregnant mothers with a prescription from their primary care provider. We also provide the Flu shot to all of our mothers as well as any pregnant woman on a walk in basis. ***Due to COVID-19 pandemic, this service is no longer available until further notice. We have to change our practice to include only our core services. We apologize for the inconvenience.***
- Tongue tie assessments and Breastfeeding consults require a referral – please use our referral form.